My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Where do I begin?

Where do I begin? I really can't express how happy I am with my school, my teacher, my family, the food, the city, etc. My teacher's name is Edna, she's very strict, patient, and smart. She's been teaching for quite some time. I'll have her for 2 weeks and then I'll get a new teacher. I don't want to change, but I think I should so I can have a different experience. I can always request her again some other time. She & I have fun b/c at times I say the wrong thing and the meaning of what I said is perverted! LOL! She always assigns me things to write in spanish, but the entire class is listening to her tell stories and us conversion and her teaching me grammar. It can be very frustrating at times, but when I get something it's very rewarding. I feel every day I'm able to communicate better with my peers and my family. Often times, we're doing a lot of sign language to communicate with each other. It's very amusing. One of the most difficult things for me is pronunciation, did I spell that write in English? God, in my diary, I find myself writing in spanish midsentence. I'm constanting thinking in spanish or how to say something. I feel like I'm in elementary school all over again. We were using flash cards with cartoon pictures on it so I could learn adjectives yesterday. Also, I learned some irregular verbs today and I couldn't pronounce them worth a damn. She would make me repeat them like 5 times each. she's tough, but I like her.

I'm going to take a break from the Taiwanese stand b/c the veggie empanadas are very good, but very fattening. I've been there 3 days in a row now. Last night, I met some students for dinner at an Indian restaurant. I couldn't even wait a week to try the Indian restaurant. The portions are good, but the food isn't as good as in the United States. I'm spoiled in Chicago. I guess I'm an Indian food snob. However, they have these drinks called licuado con fresa, mango, banana, etc. I ordered a shake with strawberry (fesa) it was the most amazing drink and biggest thing I'd ever seen! It could've been a meal! I can't wait to take Nolan there in August. I brought my leftovers for the family. Josefina said it was fantastic and that her hubby and her son didnĀ“t like it too much.

I had to hurry to meet a classmate to show here where a few things were. I can't believe I'm able to do so after being here for 4 days! I ate lunch quickly with my family. I ate the best guacamole of my life! My friend, Lauren, from pharmacy school has turned me onto Guacamole. My family is spoiling me w/the food. Yesterday, my host mom gave me fried plaintains for breakfast! They were soooo yummy and I don't even like them in the states. Josefina made salsa too, but she loves salt so she adds a bit too much, but still, how eats fresh salsa daily? She sauteed spinach, onion, and tomates and I made my own veggie tacos w/corn tortillas. We drank Pepsi with our lunch! It wasn't diet either, man, they are spoiling me!!! I told her I love Pepsi, but I think it's kinda expensive so I hope she doesn't think I want it all the time. I try not to eat too much because there are about 7 people living in the house so 8 including me. I can always buy a snack if I need too. I know I'm paying to live there, but even fruit is a luxury it seems. I'm going to pick up some at a market soon so we can eat with our meals. During lunch, two of her children at with us and they were talking and I had no clue what they were saying. They would pause and explain in laymens terms what they were talking about. They correct me constantly.


I'm getting bit by fleas all the time b/c of the feral dogs wandering the streets. My family's house is very clean so I doubt it's from them. The sun hasn't been out much and I'm so cold all of the time. I wear 3 layers of clothes sometimes. What's up w/that? I'm living in Central America!

Josefina has been hosted students for 15 years! She really loves it b/c she likes she worked in a laundry facility before and hated it and it was very laborious. Plus, she wans't spending much time w/her children. She enjoys working at home, boy does she ever work! She's so busy!!

Yesterday, I went to a tiny shop across town, I forgot my camera so I couldn't take pictures. :( In Guatemala, the are these dolls called Munecas and that are hand made and painted. It's kinda like paper mache. It's very intricate so it was cool to see the process. I takes many days to make them. I didn't bring enough money so I couldn't buy one either. However, I'm sure they are quite prevelant around the country. We had to take 2 busese and walk a couple miles to get to it. I forgot to spray my legs with insect repellant I'm covered in flea bites! God, I wish I wouldn't have taken microbiology last quarter b/c I'm constantly worried about germs and what disease I could get from a fleas or mosquito. I'm excited b/c my family finally got hand soap in the bathroom! However, I use my handsanitizer like crazy.

My eyes are finally used to the pollution. They aren't burning or red, but they are puffy. However, I'm a bit concerned b/c I've developed some sores on the sides of my mouth where the the crease it. I keep applying chapstick. I hope I didn't catch a cold sore from something.

Today, I'm going to watch a movie in my school then I go home eat and study. A store across from the school sells school supplies so I bought index cards so I can make flash cards. My spanish was so bad that the girl let me go behind the secure counter and look through the inventory to find them. LOL! I'll never forget how to say index cards with lines in Spanish again!

I promise I'll take some pictures starting tomorrow and I'll post them in a few days. I haven't been taking many pictures so I need to get on that! I think I'll wander around on Sunday and take pictures. Pictures are so much better than stories or it will solidify stuff for you.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take my first Salsa dance class! Yeah! I heard the teacher is very good! Wish me luck! I'm the least graceful person I know so it's going to be very interesting. I think the gym I wanted to join is very far away so I need to do some kind of exercise while I'm here or I'll go nuts! At least I walk everywhere, but I've been eating so much. I still haven't gotten sick! Whew!

All is well in Xela.

Oh! Next Saturday, my school is overing a mountain biking activity. Do I dare? I don't want to hurt myself so I think I may not do it. What do you think?

Only one cat call since I've been here, not bad, huh? Everyone is soooo nice!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy, See aren't you glad that I turned you onto Guacamole, I am so jealous that you get homemade guac and salsa, that must be awesome! It sounds like you are doing great, working hard on the spanish but also having a great time. I think you should go mountain biking, it would be an advanture. If you are careful, you won't get hurt, I'm sure you won't be the only one who is doing it for the first time. I am excited because my mom and sister come tomorrow for the Avon Walk this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Keep having fun, I can't wait to see pictures!
XO, Lauren

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprised you were able to find Index cards....

So what kind of food did you try at the Indian rest? You are spoiled because we had Indian Garden last week that Tika is awesome!

So how old are the members of the family you live with? Do the young ones (if there are any) go to school?

I can't wait to try the plantains. Are they as good as the ones at La Teresita?

Does Josefina make her own tortillas? Did you see how she cooked the plantains? Have you seen any banana trees? I saw a banana today at the white hen nad of course it had a guatemala sticker on it.

Did the pepsi can or bottle look the same as it does here? I would thought they would have coke and not pepsi....good for them :)

Will Josephina be doing your laundry or have you found a place to do it? Doe she wash her clothes by hand? Does she make enough from hosting students that she does not have to work?

Have i asked enough questions?

I have more but i think that is enough for no as I need to eat and continue toruturing myself my cramming for my awful exam.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Kristy-

Oh my, I can see the Espanol influencing your writing already!! haha. That has to be as fun as it is dificil.

Only one catcall? Bah, you've missed em, I'm sure ;b

I love platanos, especially when homecooked. They don't look too hard to make, so learn up. Maybe by the time you return, you can throw a Guatamala party! I'll bring the dessert...

Keep lovin' it!

oh, and I personally would wuss out on the mtn bike ride until more acclimated to the elevation...

hugs
Kelly

11:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey girl! Glad to see you're doing so great! Take the mountain bike ride, think of all the great stuff you'll see and you'll probably out-pedal the fleas! LOL

About the mouth crease sore things, don't overdo the chapstick! That can actually exacerbate what could really just be dryness. Chapstick can draw the moisture out of your lips, as it all contains a minute bit of mentholatam. Sounds weird, but try olive oil or some sort of veggie oil before you go to bed.

I'm so jealous of all the food you're eating! Is the La Teresita Nolan mentioned the Tampa one from back home? If it is....oh their garbanzo soup is supreme...I may have to visit home just to go grab some! haha.

Take care! (and take photos!)

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi kristy....
love hearing about your adventures! Glad that you are working hard on your spanish...thats what your there for right? The weather doesn't sound all that great...i'm surprised. You've been missing the weather here...i already have quite a nice tan going....did I learn anything in therapuetics about sun exposure?!? ANyways, hope things keep going well....i'm so happy that you are happy!!! Can't wait to read about mountain biking...

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home