My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Some pics of my family





Thus far, I´ve taken pictures of my host mom, Josefina, and her 2 y.o. grandson, Jeremy. The picture doesn´t even due her beauty justice. I´m living with one of two indigenous families my family allows to host students. I´m unsure of why type of indigenous group she belongs too, but she does speak Qui´che. she said she´ll teach it to me once my spanish improves until then she won´t teach me words because it´ll slow my progress with learning spanish. She has long hair all the down to her waist. She wears colorful, hand woven clothes that are affiliated with the indigenous group in Xela. She´s a wonderful cook, loving mother and grandmother, and always laughing. I don´t know why she isn´t smilihng in this pic because she´s always laughing and having a good time with everyone in the house.

Josefina has a hubby who works everyday. He looks tired, weather, and his eyes are clouding mabye from glaucoma or cateracts. They have 5 children: Eric, Ramon, Nilda, Norma, and Carlos. The latter three live in the house along with Jeremey, Norma's grandson. I play with Jeremy all the time, he's very curious about me and constantly runs into my room to grab my stuff. He's sooo adorable! He always gives me a fist to punch onto my balled fist to give me props and he gives me the thumbs up sign when we're eating our meals. He also yells out "fly" in spanish to have me swat away the flies from the table. The kitchen and patio are exposed to the environment to it's fair game for insects. He loves having his picture taken. Carlos, the youngest son and I help Josefina write and read stuff as she wasn't educated. Carlos and I are mostly home to help her with stuff. It's really interesting that Josefina wears indigenous clothing, but her children don't. Indigenous people are treated very badly hear and there's racial tension between the indigenous people and the guatamaltecos (guatemalans). I watched a movie in Spanish on Tuesday about the war.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is adorable!

Her clothes look just like the photos I see online.

Maybe the photos are too big? too many kb's? i'll try to figure out if there is a way to make them smaller. That ould let you upload them quicker. If anyone reading this has any ideas let Kristy know.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home