My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hike to Tajulmoco and Misc.

Thanks Nolan for posting the correct link! OK, lets preface that my pics are no where near as professional, clear, or beautiful. I don't know how people got those. I'm totally jealous! LOL!

Emily, a classmate, slept over the eve of our hike as she is really into hiking and teaches outdoor ed. in Cali. She taught me how to use my hiking pack properly, what each buckle is used for, and how to proper pack it and position it on my body. It took us an hour and a half to pack for our trip! We got screwed when we picked up our gear last Friday because they told us to stand in front of a pile, but we were getting warmer clothes to borrow so everyone rushed to the lighter piles. We got stuck carrying tents in our packs a long with our snacks, sleeping bags, etc. The bag weighted about 50 to 60 lbs! I had to carry for two freaking days! I had bruises on my waist and my collar bones were tender for a few days. We hardly any sleep...we would hear the grandma yelling periodically...she is gone as of yesterday. Whew! We were beat when the cabbie picked us up at 4 a.m. I told the cabbie how to get to my other two friend's houses...in Spanish! What an acomplishment! Baby steps! Outside of school everyone talks so fast and I get dejected sometimes because I have no freaking clue what they are talking about. My teacher for the past two weeks tried to talk faster with me because that's how people really talk. Incredible! It's hard! I would just zone out sometimes or with my family when they talk I zone out and then they catch me because they ask me a question whoops! OK, back to the hike. When we got to Quetzaltrekkers, QT, people were still packing for their trip and not ready. We had to wait for people to get their shit together. It was annoying! The pick up showed up to take us from QT to Minerva to get a chicken bus, it was the tinest pick up ever it couldn't hold haft of the peeople we had...21 in total. We squeezed 6 people in the bed with 8 hiking packs. Lucky me! I was one of the sardines in the back of the truck. It was so bumpy too! We arrived at Minerva and waited for the rest of the people...an hour later for all to show up. Emily and I saw a man in a black ski mask with a machete walking around the market. The police came by a bit later. I couldn't sleep on the first chicken bus ride, but after we ate breakfast at San Marcos, I had a fully belly and slept on the second until we arrived at the base of Tajulmoco. As soon as we started hiking this hippy dude took off his shoes and started hiking barefoot. VILE! I thoguht he's going to get worms or something. I knew right then and there I was NOT sleeping with him and his girlfriend in a tent. He finally put his shoes back on when it started to rain and he couldn't get traction. I was in the middle or back of the group pacing myself the entire time as I didn't want my legs to start shaking or get ill from the altitude. However, I prepped myself as I've been working out like a mother! I fortunately didn't have any problems with my health. Some people were greatly affected and a few suffered from diarrhea the entire trip! ICK! I passed indigenous people tending to their land and children playing and watching us pass by. The hike was incredibly beautiful with rolling hills, pastures, flowers. We'd stop along the way for a quick break or snack. I used my handsanitizer like crazy as we were sharing food...not water, thank god! When we stopped to have lunch there were two cows nearby. I wasn't paying any attention and before I knew it one cow was right up on my and mooing aggressively. I shrieked! It wanted the bread in my back pack so I threw the loafs to the group and everyone was laughing. I was so scared...I closed up my back as I was afraid that it would get my snacks! It slobbered all over my leg and my water bottle. It was so think and gouppie! I don't know if that's a word or not...my english is getting a bit worse as I focus so much on my spanish. Finally, a guy came over and shewed it away. I disinfected my water bottle with handsanitizer. That was the talk of the day! My friend was about to snap a pic of the cow trying to get the bread out of my hand and my screaming but the guy scared him off...I do have some pics of the cows when the were more tranquil. LOL! I didn't offer to set up the tents in the rain as I was pooped and felt like since I carried it then others can set it up. Emily was all over the the place...she's a pro! She should've been leading the trek. She was a lot more helpful than the guides sometimes. The guides forgot to bring 4-6 men tents so we had to squeeze 8 people in our tent. There was a man who slept in our tent that snored like a bear. The wife warned me of it and their friends refused to sleep with them. There was this dutch guy who was violently ill from altitude sickness. I knew I wasn't going to sleep with him because he couldn't hold stuff down. So I could choose the snorer, hippy dude, or the dutch guy. I chose the snorer and figured I was beat and could fall asleep. Plus, I wanted to sleep in the same tent with my 3 girlfriends. I couldn't sleep worth a damn because his wife was laying next to me and constantly kicking him to stop snoring and he was sooooo loud. I finally told the guide, she was in our tent, I wanted to change tents because I couldn't sleep. She said that was impossible. Emily woke up and said she had ear plugs. She was my saving grace! I slept soundly...everyone else expect Emily had probs sleeping. I have no idea how she slept through it. I'm not down with sleeping outside, but I love hiking so I dealt with it. It was my first time and maybe my last time camping outside. It rained all night, but stopped at 5 a.m. when we got up to walk to the top of the volcanoe to watch the sun rise. I was well rested and was able to lead the pack! It was crazy hiking in the night, trying to balance, and shine my flash light. The people I was with had head lamps. Some of the people have hiked all around the world! They were psyched to see I was doing such a tough hike and sleeping outside for my first time. I've only done tiny hikes before that...I found out that the hippy guy was puking in the tent the entire night. ICK! I'm so glad I wasn't in that tent. I would've slept outside in the rain and underneath a tarp before I had to sleep and smell puke. We got to the top of the volcanoe you could see nearly 10 different volcanoes! It was truly incredible. I took about 80 pics from the entire hike. I took a picture of a volcanoe errupting from afar. You could see the smoke plume. I took pics of the volcanoes surrounding Lago de Atitlan...Nolan I can't wait to hike and enjoy the beautiful with you. Also, when we go to Antigua we're going to hike up a baby volcanoe where you can see a volcanoe errupting and lava below from another volcanoe. Crazy! I survived! It was incredible experience...aside from the the hick ups I had I would do it over again, but bring my own ear plugs! I truly love hiking and would've kicked myself had I not done it. At times I was so scared that I would sleep down the side when we walked up the peak in the a.m. We watched the sun rise and ate cookies atop the volcanoe. It was so incredibly beautiful. My pics wont' do it justice as it is so cloudy. We're walking in clouds the entire time. I tried to snap picks when the clouds burned off.


I forgot to bring the card for the link to the organization the lecturer founded. I have 2 more lectures with him. I promise I'll post it soon. I haven't written much about the lectures...I'm sorry. It's really incredible! I'm going to listen to a prisoner of war next week, he survived the Civil War. The the following week I'm going to listen to a man's experience in detail about crossing the border or attempting to cross the US and Mexico frontera with 15 other people and being imprisioned. I've talked too a 2 people about experiences, but not in detail...I don't want to probe. So I have 4 more lectures over the next two weeks! I'm looking foward to it.

I finally got off my ass and visited the med clinic that I wanted to volunteer for. I'm glad I haven't though because it's been rough lately with my grammar studies so I've been focusing on that and really talking to my family a lot. I'm so lucky they enjoy talking to me and allow me to watch soap operas with them. LOL! I've posted a link about the clinic...they said they never had a pharmacy student volunteer for them but would love it. They said their tiny pharmacy is in disarray...they have med students and nursing students usually. However, I really would like to do the public health talks. They go out to 11 different schools and give presentations about sex ed, nutrition, sanitary conditions, domestic violence, etc. I still want to get a masters in public health so that is up my alley. If I return then I definitely will volunteer for them. It's an incredible organization and the work they do is unbelievable with the budget they have...it's all donations. I can give more info if you have questions when I return.
http://www.primerospasos.psiguatemala.org/English/whoweare1.htm I wouldn't mind doing some fundraising for them before I return next summer and seeing if pharmacies or drug companies would donate meds or a fundraiser at Midwestern. Of course, that's if my future hubby is OK with this! LOL! However, I can have a fundraiser though!

I'm going out to celebrate my birthday tonight with some friends from school as tonight is their last day. My school cancelled the weekly dinner as no body was going as we're going to get indian food and to a concert afterwards. I'm psyched to go listen to latin music. I love it so much! My teacher is going to make me a CD before I leave. Tomorrow, for my bday Nilda and I were going to go to a movie, but Josefina told me that Nilda has to help her around the house with some things. Nilda and I are going to go to the movies sometime next week. I'm looking forward to watching a movie in Spanish. I told Josefina that it was no problem, I have no problem working out, studying, relaxing, and I need to find a dress to wear to a wedding. I'm excited to see how the weddings are here...I'm kind nervous and don't want to be a wedding crasher though. However, Josefina said that she invited the entire family and they know she hosts students. I'm really honored. My family is going to the wedding of Norma's best friend on 8/12 so I can't wear what I brought with me. LOL! I'll look like a total bum! I'm going to go to the mall tomorrow and try to find something. I'm glad I have my salsa shoes! I'm going to the montly Xela market on Sunday...it's my last one so I want to buy a few things. I'm going to go shopping with Josefina next Friday for a guipel, the tradional top she wears. Yesterday, I went shopping with Nilda to buy Norma a bday present. I bought her a red polo shirt, chocolate, and I have a lipsmackers lip gloss kit I was saving to give as a gift to someone that I brought from home. I found out that they all love that stuff so I'm going to give it to here. Nilda bought her a pair of black jeans! I learned how to sing happy birthday in Spanish...they sing two songs!

The highlight of my week was when I spoke to the director of the school and she complimented me on how good my spanish is right now. I still have SO MUCH to learn and improve on my fluidity...I pause a lot. I was on cloud 9. I'm just happy I can finally hold a decent convo. The grammar is so tough sometimes! I've really learned so much...it's incredible how much really. I have nearly 2 notebooks full of stuff. She said she's glad to see that I'm still hear at times she wondered if I'd make it because I'd come in crying because I was sick or in pain and I was pretty quite in the beginning. However, once I was able to hold a decent convo. I wasn't quite anymore. People learned quickly that I like to talk.

I'll type more next week! I still want to answer peoples questions that were posted! I love you and miss you all!

I'm looking forward to hearing fireworks outside our house tomorrow a.m. at 5 a.m.! LOL!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KRISTY!!!
sorry i haven't responded much lately! I have been very busy, trying to enjoy my summer and all. I just got back from michigan. I went up there with my friend lauren. We had a blast! I just got the email about your wedding date! How exciting! I'm there baby! Anyways...I am trying to keep up with your travels. Sounds like the trip keep sgetting more an more amazing. That pharmacy sounds like an interesting place to volunteer. It would be great to impart some of your knowledge there and in the process learn how to comunicate in the pharmacy. I also love the story about the cats on the roof! How funny and annoying! I can't wait till you get back to see pics and hear about this amazing adventure. Hope you and nolan have a good time together traveling. Should be fun! Oh happy belated birthday! I'm not even sure when it was, but you know that a big celebration is awaiting you when you get back here!!!!! Keep having fun! Miss you lots!
-Debbie

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy,

What an incredible experience that hike must have been. Sleeping outside is definitely different, and your choice of tents made it more diccicult. We slept outside for the Avon Walk --it was fun, but I was only with my mom and sister...no strangers so. I hated having to go outside to go to the bathroom though! I hope you had a GREAT birthday. I leave to go home to NY on Saturday but I will still be checking the blog so...keep us updated, and have an amazing time traveling with Nolan!
XO,
Lauren

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home