My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sick AGAIN!

Why must I constantly get sick on a freaking Friday? Why not a Monday so I can actually have my weekend plans come to fruition. Geez! I have bad luck right now! I'm glad I have 7 more weeks left! I was suppossed to go rock climbing on Saturday and then go to the largest market in Guatemala, Chichicastenango.

Last Friday, I got sick from the patchetes, everyone who ate the vegetarian patchetes go sick. It was either from the pig lard or olives used to make them. Josefina said it's probably from the olives because she got sick from it once before. I slept all day on Saturday and started to feel OK on Saturday night. I was planning on going to Chichi, but I woke up on Sunday a.m. and I had a fever, chills, sore throat, and my body was achy. I stayed home and hung out with my family. We went shopping at a few local markets here. It was nice to go around town to see how the buses work here so it makes me a little more prepared for when Nolan arrives in 7 weeks.

I haven't done anything except go to school and then sleep from 3 to 6 or 7 get up and study or do home work and then go back to bed around 8 or 9. Josefina made dinner early the past few nights since I was feeling ill and I took Theraflu Nighttime and it would knock me out. I felt like I was drunk when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I was so scared someone would come out on the patio and say something to me because I wouldn't know what would come out of my mouth. Josefina took me to pharmacy that she goes to and she knows the pharmacists there pretty well. It's a pharmacy for poor people and it's owned by a certain organization that provides medicine at a cheaper cost. I bought a box of Theraflu for 8Q, a little over $1. There were about 50 people crammed in a room a little larger than my bathroom waiting for the number to be called. The pharmacist yelled across the room and asked me where I was from. Josefina said, she's talking to you. I was so out of it on Monday. I was just so realived to get some meds. I told her the probs I was having and she recommended Theraflu, which is fine with me. I must tell ya that I spoke in spanish the whole time! However, I get so nervous when I don't know the people that I'm speaking to and get a bit choked up at times. LOL! I've gotta build up my confidence a little more. Josefina and Carlos said my spanish is much, much better. I'm on the III level right now and I think I'll move onto the the IV level next week. I didn't like my teacher in the beginning, but she's grown on me and I like here a lot. However, the guy was better, I'm going to try to get him again next week. The prepositions and kicking my ass still! Damn it por and para! LOL!

What else, so I haven't gone on any excursions or any dance classes this week. I'm really excited because I just signed up for private classes with a new teacher and he speak English. I saw his work on one of my classmates for about 30 minutes today and I was blown away. She's been going to him for only a few weeks and she's amazing. I'm stoked! I'd rather go to dance than excursions right now, at least for this next week because I'm obsessed with salsa. I haven't gone to any of the salsa bars yet either. I'm too nervous about being out late at night due to the couple of rapes and attacks that have happened. I know I could always cab it home, but...I can always go out when Nolan gets home. I feel bad sometimes because my classmates want me to go and I feel like a fuddy duddy. I have no problem going out when I'm at home late at night even by myself to meet others. Anway, I hope my girls will join me on the salsa dancing floor when I return this fall! Nolan, get ready to shake your groove thang! I finally ventured out today so I could register for my classes next week and then look for a cute pair of salsa shoes. I guess I'll do more shopping tomorrow. It should be interesting as I've only danced in sneaks and I think it's essential to dance in heels. Anway, I'm sure I'm boring everyone about my fixation on Salsa.

Jen, yes, all the lectures I attend are in Spanish. I really love going to them. I'm so pissed because I missed a really good one last night. The next one is on July 4th. I can't wait!

Nolan, the internet cafes have people from all over the world and from Xela using the pcs.

The black beans are just as tasty as La Terrisita, except a bit on the salty side. They love their salt here. She makes them as refritos most of the time as her children don't like the whole bean. Don't worry I'll be making those along with guac, salsa, and tortillas when I return! LOL! I gotta get a pressure cooker though.

Yeah, they eat white rice she flavors it with spices and sautees some veggies too. It's good stuff! I'm definitely enjoying the food here. She's really an amazing cook. I'm glad you get to spend 4 nights and 3 days with them. They are really great! I'm going to ask her if we can make the beet dish the night you arrive. LOL! I'll help her make it as it's tough to make. ..it's all day affair.

I haven't decided where I'm going to volunteer yet. I can't decided if I want to volunteer for an orphanage or for the health clinic. I'll have to take afternoon classes and then dance classes in the a.m. I just can't decide what to do. I think I'm going to give myself one more week to decide. Plus, I need to talk to Olga about the clinic. I think it would be an amazing experience going to villages and providing healthcare. God, I can't wait until I'm a pharamcist already! However, it may be a little while longer if I don't do AGO. Decisons, decisions, decisions...which I'm never very good at making anyway.

I hope to have more exciting news for you next time! I miss you and love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home