My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Monday, July 03, 2006

Hola!

Hi Everyone,

I'm still pretty sick, but I had a friend buy some Amoxicillin for me from the pharmacy. I hope that taking this will whip me back into shape. If not then I'm going to the doctor, a friend's host fathers brother is a doctor so I can see him anytime. I have tried so much stuff and I can't shake this cold. It freaking sucks because there is a break in the rain right now, it's call the canicula, for about 2 to 4 weeks. I'm going to try to go hiking this weekend since there's a pause in the rain. The weather couldn't be anymore gorgeous. I just wish I weren't sick! I've had every possible ailment in the past nearly 6 weeks.

Yes, hard to believe I've started my 6th week of Spanish. I'm somewhere in between level III and IV. I have Louis Fernando again. He's my favorite! I'm going to try to sweet talk the director again to get him for a 3rd week. He's so good, so strict, and I learn so much with him. I'm starting to learn future tense this week. We also reviewed the two past tenses they have in Spanish. If I'm feeling well enough I'm going to go to San Francisco on Friday. I've been trying to get there for a few weeks now, but miracuously I get sick every freaking Friday! It's the hugest market in Gautemala for the people of the highlands. I mean, it's not touristy, it has some texttiles, but mostly the stuff for the locals, live stock, fruits, veggies, etc. I mean there are veggies I've never seen before. I'm suppossed to go there to learn about veggies, fruits, and animals. I mean, not about them, but their names. The second interactive class, I'm going to go to before I leave is to Copa Vic, it's a glass blowing factory. They make beautiful vases, plates, etc. anything glass and pretty. It's going to be fun traveling for nearly 3 weeks with Nolan and trying not to break that stuff. I'm planning on going to Chichicastenango, which is the largets market in Central or Latin America, I think. It has beautiful textiles and you can hangle with the people there for a fair price. I can't wait to go there, of course when my friends went I was sick. LOL!

I've been hanging out with my family a lot. Obviously, since I can't do much. However, I really don't mind it. I'm not bored at all. I really enjoy hanging out with them. Last weekend, I went across town with Josefina and Jeremy to the market where Catarino works. It's really far and it's a newly built building the market is nice, but it's still slowly getting businesses. Josefina bought veggies from her hubby since it's cheaper and I took care of Jeremy. Let me tell you living with them is really getting me used to kids and how to deal with them. One minute he's an angel then the next minute he's throwing a hissy fit. Thank god he didn't cry he would just pout. The the next second he wants me to pick him up and I tell him that he's superman and he can fly. People kept asking me if he was my child. LOL! I think because he is so light skinned, but so is his mother, Norma. After they closed up shop, there weren't any microbuses around so we took a chicken bus back. It was by far the worst one I've taken in a while. My knees got pretty bashed up. At first I sat down with Jeremy on my lap, but I swapped with Josefina because I didn't want her to have to stand. So Catarino and I kinda held on for dear life. I felt so bad because everytime a seat became free he would try to tell me to sit there, but I'm not going to sit there with this tiny, nearly 70 year old, fragile man is hanging on for dear life. Someone else would quickly snatch the seat right up. Finally, he made a mad dash for a seat and we sat together. He was trying to orient me with were we were in Xela to teach me my surroundings. I felt like telling him he's wasting his time because I have no sense of direction. We all just held on and it was a like a rollercoaster. It was a white knuckle experience. My poor knees are black and blue. Somehow, Jeremy fell as sleep, but his head would bob up and down when we crossed the potholes, which was all the time. I thought his neck would snap.

I finally made pastel de tres leches for them! I was going to make it on Saturday, but the guy who has the oven that you can rent time from was too drunk or hung over and didn't open the shop up. Friday was a holiday so the drunks came out pretty early and partied all day long. I was walking around and these guys were trying to talk to me and I had no idea what they said. The classmates I was with, the girls, we quickly ran across the street and the guy we were with talked to them. They were all excited about the soccer games! This upcoming Sunday I'm going to watch the finale at school with everyone. It should be fun! I'm looking forward to it. Everyone wears Brazil tees here. The team here really sucks! Anyway, back to the cake. I go all of together and we took it over there. We we came back an hour later the guy said that the cake started to gush over the sides of the mold like a volcanoe. He scooped it up and just shoved it on top of it. It was the ugliest mess I've ever seen! The larger mold was ok, but the tiny mold was a freaking mess! We couldn't help, but crack up we we got out of there. The guy said we put to much yeast in the cake. Hell, I don't have control over that because I used an instant cake mix. Next time I'll use 2 boxes instead of 2.5 boxes since I have to add so much other stuff to it. Anyway, we at the cake for dessert last night. Everyone loved it! Josefina had 2.5 pieces and I ate 2.

All day yesterday, Josefina prepped for making chilli rellenos. Let me tell you these were the best freaking chilli rellenos I've had in my life! I couldn't resist to try the ones with the meat in it. I'm a sucker for chorizo! Jenny, I know you're going to kick my ass for it! It was so good! They weren't greasy either. I'm looking forward to making them when I get home too. So we swapped recipes yesterday.

Josefina said usually students don't incorporate into her family or hang out with them as much. I really enjoy it. She said she really can't believe I've been here for only 5 weeks because it seems like so much longer. The other night she called me in to show me a funny program. There were some American women in Spain dancing salsa contest to win $. They were wearing bikinis, shaking the chest, and butt. She said, "so is this how you dance shaking your stuff and practically naked?" I teased her and said, "I'm going to apply to be on that show and call you up while I'm in Spain so you call watch me on tv." She said she can't wait to tell all her friends in family that her former student is nearly naked on tv and salsa dancing. It was really funny! She said, "I bet Nolan can't wait to see you moves with you in your nearly naked outfit!" Yesterday, I bought a great pair of shoes to dance it and she wanted me to dance for her. I said, once I get a few more weeks under my belt. I feel like I'm starting over with a new instructor. He's so much better. He's trying to teach me rhythm. I told him he's going to have his work cut of for him because white people don't have rhythm. He started laughing, he said he never heard that expression before. My feet are already beat up after one hour in the heels. I have 5 hours of dance this week so one hour a day. Wish me luck! I wish I would've started with him in the beginning. He said he's going to teach me a bunch over the next 7 weeks. I think I have 7 weeks left. I can't remember if I'm studying for 11 or 12 weeks.

I can't think of anything else to wright right now. Keep your fingers crossed and that I get healthy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie...

I hope the antibiotics are doing the job. Hopefully with the better weather you wll also start to feel better. Do you thnk it has anything to do with all the pollution?


How are we going to lug glass around for 3 weeks and not break it? You do realize how many plates and glasses we break when simply unloading the dishwasher!

That bus ride accross town sounds awful...hope your knees are doing better. And to think I complain when the CTA is crowded....def doesn't even compare. Is her hubby really 70 and shes only in her 40's?

Well Brazil is out....it's France vs Italy on Sunday. GO ITALY....who would want the stinin French to win anything?

mmmm chorizo....jenny you would like it :)

wow....you are going to come home and put my cooking to shame.

I think it's good you are around Jeremy...i think it was only a few months ago we were discussing how you were never around young children. While i don't think anything can truely prepare you it's good to at least be around one to kind of see what it's like.

So as you keep saying it's dangerous evrywhere...Today at work Jason asked me if I heard of the murder in our hood. He said at 2AM on Sun night a 16 yr old gang banger was stabbed by some rival gang banger. I guess the one stab was all it took as it proved to be fatal. It was on the corner of Belmont & Shefield. For those of you not from Chicago that is a very safe area that always has tons of people around no matter the time of day or night.

Be safe and I will call you tomorrow.

I Love you!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home