My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I forgot to mention a few things!

The best part of my bday was after you blow out the candles it is customary to bend down and take a bite of the cake. Ramon, Norma's older brother, was standing behind her when she bent down and he smooshed her face into the cake! I got a pic of it! Afterwards, Josefina told me something from across the room, but I didn't understand. I said, what, and she motioned her hand up to her mouth and acted like she was going to bite it. I thought, OK, here we go! It's way different then in the US, usually we just give the bday girl the first piece of cake. LOL! I figured that I was safe because Ramon was across the table from me and they wouldn't smoosh my face into the cake because I'm a visitor. Well, I don't know how he did it, but he moved across the room like lightening and as soon as my mouth was a few centimeters away from the cake he smooshed my face into. I got icing in my nose! It was so funny! Everyone started laughing and came around and gave me another round of hugs!

My teacher this week, her cousin is studying to be a pharmacist, she told me about a course that you can take with the public health of guatemala to learn how to prepare natural medicines, study the diffrent plants, and treatments and adverse effects. it's a 3 month course and it's really cheap, it lasts 3 months and it's a 4 hour weekly class. they give you the books and then you study every week and take a test. i guess the 4 hours is a bit of lecture and lab. anyway, it sounds so freaking cool! they have this course in Xela and in the towns surrounding the area. her cousin just finished the course. i'm not really confident my spanish could've handled it this summer. however, if i return next summer then i'll definitely take the course if it correlates with my schedule. i tried to find a website for them, but i couldn't. Nolan, can you help me. It's Salud Publica de Guatemala...I think...



I forgot to give you the link for Jorge Mario Pivaral Ortiz, the gentleman who've I've seen speak nearly 10 times. I can't tell you how much I've learned about Guatemala from going to all the conferences in general. It's really been incredible and I see how much pain the people have endured and continue to endure. He fleed the country and lived in Mexico for 10 years, but last night I listened to a prisoner of war recount his experiences during the Civil War. It's was riviting, chilling, and unbelievable. He's an incrediblel person and an amazing speaker. If anyone is interested when I return I can always tell you about the talks.

http://www.xanga.com/iniciativasporguatemala

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might take me some more time as my initial search only came up with results in Spanish....

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home