My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Monday, June 12, 2006

Great conversations!

I've been having great conversations with Josefina on a daily basis. I think I was placed with the appropriate family. I found out she's 47 so she must of started having children about 14 or 15, that sounds about right for the indigenous women. Usually younger women marry older men, I guessed on her age as her hubby is quite old. I've learned a lot about how the healthcare system works for families in her lower to middle class bracket. She refuses to go to the doctor at all costs to have $ for her children and grandchildren to go if necessary. She told me a story about how on Mother's Day she had some sharp pains in her chest and it radiated down her arm. She said she cried silently when her family wasn't around. She said she saw on TV that aspirina and garlic are good for the heart so she took them constantly. It sounded to me as though she may have had a hard attack. She said she had pain for a few days. You can have another heart attack, right? She said her family finally picked up that something wasn't right, but she down played. She kept praying and wanted her family to live for the sake of her family. Anyway, I feel guilty about posting this as it's quite personal. I've learned more about her family too over the weeks and I'm not going to post it. It's just a prime example why people come here on medical missions. Not only here, but in the US we need to help people who don't have access to medical care due to restricted finances. That's what I'm destined to do!


I asked her if I could have Nolan stay with me in August or if she recommends we stay in a hotel. She looks at me and she stays, of course you need to stay in a hotel! I said, ok no problem I completely understand. I know cultures are different and may not approve of an unmarried couple sleeping in the same bed. Anyway, she busted out laughing and said she tricked me again! She said she's looking forward to meeting Nolan and he's more than welcome to stay and we can stay as long as we want. Tricked again! She's looking forward to cooking him some food.

She tells me some wild stories of students she's hosted in the past. She says that she and her family really like me because I like to laugh, joke, talk, study, and party all the time. She told me stories of times where she was frightened of some of the students. I won't go into it because it's really creepy. She said she worries about them as if they are her children when the go out boozing it up. She's seen women come down and have boyfriends and get a new boyfriend while their down here! She's had students leave their keys in the door, run into the doors and walls of her house drunk. I can't believe people are so disrespectful. She loves that I'm so devoted to my fiance too. Here children ask her if I'm happy, but I think they can tell that I am.

Yesterday, her sister in law, come from another pueblo to tell her that her daughter is getting married in november. I saw she was in a deep conversation so I distracted Jeremy and babysat him for a bit. Man, he's wild! He reminds me of Nolan's cousin Eric when he was child. He's adorable, but so mischevious and devious! We have fun together. He always points to stuff or runs out of my bedroom with my things. He wants me to tell him what each object in my room is in spanish.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the hot springs to chill with my school. I can't wait to wear my new tankini bathing suit! Thanks again, Deb, for suggesting that I purchase my suit at Marshall Fields.

I'm going to work on the picture thing. The married couple I befriended is going to try to help me shrink some pics. In the next few weeks. Or at least show me how to do it. I hope it's successful because I want to share these beautiful images with you.

I miss everyone so much! I think my home sickness got to me last week when I was so sick.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

47 seems more like it from viewing her photo.

Kristy please try and think of something I can bring her that she can really use. If it is not something I can bring maybe it is something I can purchase her while I'm there. This was one of our biggest fears (you not finding a good family). It sounds like you could not have asked for a better situation. I would love to show my gratitude to her and her family for caring for you in such a loving way.

As or telling you are happy....how would hey ever be able to tell with you...you are so quiet and reserved ;)

It wa great to finally have an extended conversation with you on Saturday.

I can't wait to hear about the hot springs.

I found the lonley planet book and started reading it today.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home