My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Sunday, June 04, 2006

More of Nolan's questions

So how old are the members of the family you live with? I think Josefina's in her 60s, her hubby gotta be about 70ish, her kids range from 30s-20s. She has 6 grandchildren.

Do the young ones (if there are any) go to school? No, none of her children go to school anymore. They all work and very hard at that each works about 6-7 days a week. They couldn't afford to send their children to college. Like I said, the family I'm really is really poor, but doing well as an indigenous family. They are one of 2 families that are indigenous and affiliated with this school. The other families are more wealthy. I've heard students say how nice their house is, they have private bathroom, etc. However, I'm attached to my family; I'm staying here. I have good food, clean water, clean room, and a nice family. That's all I need. All the other stuff I can do without.

I can't wait to try the plantains. Are they as good as the ones at La Teresita? She either fries or boils them. I like them boiled. She boiled Yuca for me yesterday, it was freaking awesome! I like the platanos better here b/c it isn't as sweet as a cuban restaurant. Does Josefina make her own tortillas? Nope, but I'm going to learn how to make corn tortillas tomorow at school! I did go to a mountain town yesterday and in the lady's house she made tortillas and fed them to use with cheese, salsa, and guac. All was home made. Truly amazing experience! The mountain was beautiful! I saw a waterfall on my way up the mountains in the Chickenbus!

Will Josephina be doing your laundry or have you found a place to do it? Someone picks my laundry up form school and does it. Mind isn't handwashed and the laundry mat. They do an awesome job!
Dose she wash her clothes by hand? Yes, there's a thing attached the kitchen sink called a "pila" which is serated and she use it to scrub the clothes, sheets, etc.

Does she make enough from hosting students that she does not have to work? She gets 250Q a week, which is equal to $30 a week! It's incredibly sad! I get my own snacks and try not to eat too much, but she always pushes me to eat more. I want to cry right now just thinking about how poor the economy, healthcare is here. This place and family has a special place in my heart and I want to do more hear once I'm a pharmacist. I'm going to pick up a few things this week at the supermercado.

It's late so I need to get back home, do home work, eat, and wind down. Again, I'm so sorry I can't post pics yet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ww she does not look like a woman who has had a rough life and is in her 60's.

I meant the little one, does he go to school? Do they have a system like here where they go up until HS?

Is there any grass in Xela? I know all over guatemala there are farms and lush vegitation but has all the pollution killed it in xela?

wow it sounds like little house on the prarie the way she washes her clothes.

wow...so the school gets 75% of the weekly $$$ and the family only gets 25%. I wonder if they give them less because they are indegionous? Sad just like the native americans...which is what she looks like in the photo.

Do you know if they own their houses down there or do they rent?

Are there different neighborhoods there? Are your neighbors indeginous as well?

do all the homes look the same? you mentioned other students say their homes are nicer. are they in a different part of town? i would assume they are close so they wouldn't have a far walk to school?

Is there a downtown?

The plantains probably are not as sweet because she must be using them at an earlier stage. You have to let them ripen to be really sweet.


I love you....be safe.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home