My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Thursday, August 10, 2006

i'm back!

things at the capital went off without a hitch. is that the correct expression? god, my english has really gone to hell since i've been speaking and focusing on learning spanish. i expect some tutors in english when i come back! lol! it was a last minute decision to go up there before nolan arrives because i'd rather us focus on fun stuff than the legalities of renewing my visa. it's my responsibilty. he's only responsible for having fun while he's here. the only hiccup was that the buses were running it took 6 hrs to get to and fro each way, there was a landslide. It should only take 4 hours. I felt bad because the guy that was helping me had to wait at the busstation for 2 hours. It was pretty hot in Guate too. However, I welcomed the sun as I've been freezing my ass off in Xela. I slept a lot on the bus and looked out the window and admired the moutains and beautiful vegetation. The lady said I can pick up my passport any day next week except next Tues. because they are closed for a holiday. I'm going back up next Weds. on Nolan's bday and will retrieve it and Nolan on that Thursday a.m. I hope the return trip to Guate is just as easy. It's really a crap hole, it gives Tiajuana a run for it's money. Ick! The pollution is worse...which is hard to believe. Also, there's way more police walking around carrying guns. it's crazy, they are the biggest guns i've every seen...some kind of rifle of some sort. out side and inside banks here there's usually like 4 or 5 guys holding guns. they don't mess around here with theifs. i didn't drink a sip of water all day in fear that i'd have to go to the bathroom and experience the pain i felt when i went to chichi. i thought was going to die. it was a long day...about 16 hrs of traveling. poor nolan, called my school 4 times to get an update...each time he received a diffrent story, each one more incorrect a one was bad. finally the secretary gave him the ph# for the guy who helped me out who speaks english he and his parents own a bed and breakfast so i'll stay there next week. he told him that i'm running late, but he dropped me off at the busstation safely. whew! luckily, josefina's youngest son, speaks englsh. however, he's never spoken it with me, but he has with nolan a few times. lol!

i'm going to the wedding on saturday with josefina. i never bought a dress just don't have time. i'm going shopping with josefina to buy a guipel, the traditional top, and for a few other things. i have classes all weekend long to make up and finish all my classes so i can get my 50 hrs in so i can have thurs. and fri. off of next week. i'm not looking forward to having class for 10 hours this sunday. my poor teacher won't have much of a break this weekend. i have to take 5 hours on saturday and rush to the wedding.

jenny, i'm sure spanish will come back to you when we talk to gether. there are 4 modes of spanish and i'm on the 3rd of 4 and i'm only touching the tip of the iceberg of subjunctive. i'd rather review my stuff that i've learned. i'm happy with my progress and will continue taking classes when i get home. i definitely want to practice with you when i get home! yippee! yeah, her children, nilda and carlos, use email. however, i'm going to snail maile the photos to her. she wants pics of our wedding too. she's so sweet and it's sad that i'm leaving so soon. i'm sad too, but i'm so psyched about traveling and then coming home. i'm really starting to miss a lot of things from home now, 3 months is the max. i think i could ever be away from my loved ones. i don't know how ppl do it and live here for months. incredible!

the wedding should be interesting as the customs are a bit different there. they have 2 religious ceremonies...thank god we're oinly going to one. however, they are evangelical so they are strict and don't play music or drink. how sad! i foudn out from my teacher that the catholics throw down and party. they always have music and drinks. i still haven't gotten to try the guatemalan beer yet. i told nolan i want to give it a try when he gets here. however, the bday party was very nice and they did go all out, but it was classy and now rowdy. i was very impressed! josefina said they had a small bday party and it was simple for each of their children as they can't afford a fancy party. there's nothing wrong with keeping things small and simple. that's nolan and i's theme for our wedding! the ppl here really center their entire lives around religion...it's a part of them. i feel very fortunate to get to witness some of there traditions and costumes. ppl were very nice andtalked to me and were courious about where i was from. the people here couldn't be more kind. i'm so lucky that josefina allows me to do things with them...

i hope all is well! i'll write more next week before i leave for guate again! can't wait to meet nolan at the airport! i'm ready to travel and looking forward to coming home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the trip back this week goes a little faster for you! Hope you and Nolan have a wonderful time on your trip touring! Take lots of pics so we can see them when you get back!! We miss you and love ya!! Be safe!!

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home