My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Saturday, August 26, 2006

we´re leaving antigua tomorrow

hey everyone,

we finalized our plans for our adventure this week. yikes! i wish we would´ve started out adventuresome and ended with our relaxing time here. oh well...i´m pooped anyway because you have to take so many buses and walk everywhere. it´s really exhausting taking all the chicken buses, tuk tukes, micro buses, etc. to places.

yesterday, we hiked up Picaya, the active volcanoe about 1 and a half hours outside of Antigua. It was incredible. my legs got really sun burnt. i forgot to put sun block on them. we got pics and video of the lava moving down the volcano...at times we were only 2 feet away from it and the heat was very unbearable. some idiot threw his plastic bottle into a river of lava. what a loser! we all booed him! our tour guide went sliding down the volcano to get closer to the lava. it was scary.

we´ve eaten at some very great restaurants here! we checked out a macadamian nut farm today and just finalized our plans. it took a while booking with travel agents. a great guatemalan family gave us a ride back from the farm in their SUV. it´s the 2nd time someone has given me a lift here. the ppl are so amazing and nice here. i´ll remember that forever. i spoke to them in spanish while they replied in english. it was great! we used the fire place in our bedroom and drank some guatemalan, GALLO, beers too! this hotel is incredibly beautiful. it´s all down hill from here. i´m really nervous about our adventures across the country now. i´m so glad nolan is here with me.

we´re going to try to go to Coban tomorrow it´s 6 hrs by bus...not chicken, but not 1st class. somewhere in btw. we want to try to visit Semuc Champey, it´s a natural limestone lagoon, about 3 hrs away from Coban on Monday and a Coffee Farm. THe later may be impossible because Semuc is so far away. Plus, I heard the roads to those places are really shitty. We´re going to head up to Tikal, the Mayan Ruins, on Tuesday via some kind of bus and then check out a sunrise tour of the ruins on Weds...as long as the weather fairs well. Keep your fingers crossed for us and that we can fly back from Tikal because we don´t have our passports with us and we´ve gotten mixed responses whether the airline will let us on board with a photocopy of our passport. We bought the tickets anyway and will just fight the charges with our credit card company back home if we can´t board. However, I don´t want to take a 10 hr. bus trip back to Guatemala City. I´d rather take the 45 minute flight. Then we´re going to stay in Guate. for one night, head back to Xela, spend time with Josefina and go back to Antigua and then fly out on Saturday.


I emailed my professor over the summer who teaches the Medical Spanish Class and we´re going to meet on Sept. 11 during one of my breaks. I think I´ll be able to test in there now. LOL! If not, I don´t know what to say about my spanish....I´m also going to look for a job too. I hope my Spanish will give me an edge to get a retail pharmacy tech job. Although, I know my spanish is far from perfect.

We´re going to go relax by the pool now! It´s amazing, surounded by flowers, trees, and a waterfall. Nolan just commented on how bad my english is and is correcting me on all my errors with spelling and grammar. Geez!

Keep your fingers crossed that we get to our destinations safely! I don´t think we´ll get there in a timely fashion, but I hope that we can visit all that we want too. We´ve taken a lot of amazing pics.

Oh! One funny note, when we were at the Nature Reserve at the Lake we were chased down by some decendents of racoons. They have long pointy noses and they are redish colored. I halled ass out of that area of the jungle! I´ll have to find the name of them and post a pic of it. We were too scared to snap a pic of them!

We love and miss everyone! I can´t wait to get home! It´s incredible to think I havne´t been home for nearly 4 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home