My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

barely can log into my blog today...Miscellaneous

Ugh! The internet thing is incredibily frustrating as is my Spanish progress. LOL!
I´ve been sick the past few days. I cancelled my dance class today as I wanted to nap and take it easy. I finally broke down and told Josefina that I have diarrhea because she made me an egg for breakfast this a.m. I can´t eat the greasy food. For lunch she boiled yuca, gave me a viscous clear drink flavored with a cinnamon stick she boiled in it. she said all of that is going for my belly.

this past saturday, i went to a moutaintown calleMomostengango. The ride in the Chicken Bus was amazing. No, I didn´t get pics of the waterfall. I hope to visit it though. I´m trying to go on a day hike this weekend, but I can´t find a tour company to go with. I´m kinda nervous about going on the moutain bikg as I´m not a good bicyclist.

Anyway, Momos short for Momostenango is famous for the weeving. The women´s house that we went to, it´s about 1.5 hours by bus from Xela, cleans the school and the owner of the schools house, as well as has a weaving business at her house. The blankets are called chamarras. They are the most beautiful things I´ve ever seen. I bought a few things while I was there for 350Q, which is $60, that will pay for nearly a month of her son´s college education! Her son wants to study medicine. She and her family built this wood looms and spnners to make the wool into threads, they die it with natural pigments. It takes a month to several months to make a single blanket. they have pictutres on them some how they weave it into it. they have 3 looms in the back yard.

I had touse the bathroom as soon as we got there because I try to drink a lot of water to remain hydrated. Well, I almost died. It was a concrete outhouse on the side of the moutain. You walk into this blog of cement and there is this concrete hole where you go to the bathroom. A dirty shower curtain was flapping in my face. It was pretty wild and the stench was nearly unbearable. I ran out of there at first and couldn´t believe my class mates went to the bathroom in there. Well, I did too.

Telma, the women´s house we visited, was extremely kind. She made us fresh tortillas on her wood burning stove, guacamole, and salsa. I didn´t eat the queso, I´m glad I didn´t because the girl who did was barfing and pooping for a few days.

I think I´m almost done with my problem. I take one Pepto a day. I went to the pharmacy and bought some electrolyte powder and mixed it with 1 liter of water. I drank nearly all of it and I have another one for tomorrow if necessary. It´s incredibly disgusting.

I have another funny story about Josefina, she had a student named Seth live with her a while aback. She couldn´t pronounce his name so she kept calling him ¨Shit¨¨ or she would make her kidsgo get him because she didn´t want to call him Shit. AFter a few days she he finally told her how to say his name right, even now she has problems with the TH south, it´s not common in spanish.

My classes are becoming harder and harder every day. I have nearl 1000 flash cards and I´ve been here for only weekend and a half. It´s been almost all review, but I need it to solify stuff in my mind.

OH! I live right across the street from a tiny church. They have mass every Sun, Mon, Weds, Fri. I tune it out when I study, but if I want to sleep it´s impossible. Also, we live on a busy street so there are kids playing soccer constantly. Somehow,k I was abl to nap for 1.5 hours today. Whew! I needed it. The church music is unbareable. This women or man get on a microphone to lead the congregation and they are so off key. I laugh while I´m studying in my bedroom.

I learned how to make corn tortillas on Monday. It´s pretty easy. I´m sorry if I´m repeating myself. I can´t wait to make them for everyone in the states! Josefina said she´ll show me how to make her salsa. Josefina feels bad because she thinks it may have been the cream of potatoe soup she made me on Sunday that made me ill. I told her no becase I eat dairy all the time in the states. It´s quite expensive here for people to buy dairy products.

I´m going on a field trip tomorrow. I´ve been taking it easy as I want to study, get better, and save my $ to go on a hiking trip this weekend. I really want to go hiking!!!

Friday, I´m going on a field trip with my teacher to a market to learn about veggies and fruits in Guatemala and we´re going to stop by the best Sweet store in town. I´m sad because it´s the last few days I have with my teacher. I like her so much, but I think I should try someone else before I ask for Edna again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha....That Seth story have me laughing out loud!

Did the cinnamon drink help your stomach?

Is one pepto a day enough?

what exactly did you buy? A blanket?

that outhouse sounds crazy!

boy oh boy....never thought i would hear a story like that from you :)

Holy cow....1000 flash cards in 1.5 weeks!

Are you going to go to the church to see what the comotion is all about?

Is your family religious?

what are some guatemalan specialty dishes?

I hope you get to go hiking with Kim this weekend.

I Love you!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the high altitude been bothering you? If you are already 7000 feet above sea level how high will you be when you go hiking?

Does Josephine carry thing on her head like the photos I have seen on the internet? Do you see women doing this around Xela?

10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love checking your blog every night for updates! You seem to be having some great experiences (sans the diarhea...does anyone need more experiences in that area? haha) I'm glad you're keeping safe, that story about the girl that was taken scared the "seth" out of me. Stay safe, study hard, and have fun!

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home