My Photo
Name:
Location: Chitown, Illinois, United States

Pharmacy Student

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hey Everyone:

I'm starting to feel better each day. Yes, I heard aloe is good for your belly too, Aunt Gail. I drank some sweet corn drink. It was very think I didn't like it but I didn't want to be rude. Nolan, I think you might like it because you like sweets.

The sores on my mouth are getting better. Its not a sore per se, but more like irritation its red and peeling on the corners of my mouth. I just want it to go away. It's not terribly noticible, but I can't help but obsess over it.

I finally had a hot shower, it was on the borderline of scorching my skin. However, I enjoyed it! I'm back to ice cold showers again. I guess I'm only alotted a hot shower once a week.


Last night I had nearly a 45 minute conversation with Eric, Josefina, Norma, and Jeremy would chime in once in a while. Norma is the mother of Jermey. I have a hard time understanding Jeremy and Josefina's hubby. It was exciting to converse with them liberally and both parties know what is being said. It felt so good to talk to them because I love talking to people and I can't do it that much here. The prepositions in spanish are incredibly difficult for me. I wrapped up present tense this week and hopefully will start on past tense next week. I can only hope! The teachers are strict so I'm unsure of how often they bump a student up to the next level. I was put in the lowest level! I'm kinda of bummed about that and I hate being able to only speak in present tense.

Josefina's hubby works at a market in Xela, Norma works at a pet store, Carlos works at McDonalds, Eric and Ramon work as painters in a mechanic shop.

I think I'm going hiking this weekend, not up a volcano, but somewhere else. I'm 90% sure. If not, I'm definitely going hiking next weekend with my school.

Interesting facts, Norma and I have the same birthday, but I'm 2 years older than her. Eric, the 2nd oldest son, name is Eric Jose which is similar to my brother, Eric Jason. Lastly, Josefina's hubby birthday is in March and Josefina's is in August. My birthday is in July and Nolan's birthday is August. We're both one month apart! Odd coincidences!

I always play with Jeremy before lunch. He loves my alarm clock and pushes the button and it iluminates blue. He yells out, WoW, azul luz, which is blue light in Spanish. He's the freaking cutest thing ever!

It's been incredibly cold her, mostly in the 60s. It's about 8000 ft above sea level. I have difficulty breathing some times when I'm walking briskly and have to use albuterol inhaler. I really had a difficult time in Momostenango last weekend. Thelma lived on the side of a mountain and it was incredibly wet and cold. We had to walk down it and they carved out steps from the earth, but the get messed up from the repeated rain fall. It was incredibly steep and slippery we all thought with one false move we would have slide down into their house.

Josefina made tamales from scratch today. She made them with cheese and peppers and they were amazing. She also made some with only corn. I ate 3 of them and had some pasta! Mmmm! They use a different type of corn for tamales vs. the corn that we know of that's used to make the tortillas.

I think it's going to be impossible to post pictures, you guys. I'm incredibly sorry, but I've spent hours trying to get it to work. I also had a battery die and I only have 1 battery left so I can't afford to waste another battery. I was hoping that 1 battery would last me all summer while I'm here. I don't know where to buy a battery for my camera here.

Oh! Mom, Luis is a lorro. He flies into my room from time to time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love sweets and I love corn....so maybe I would like that drink?

Wow a hot shower...did you stay in it for a half hour!

It must be tough only to speak in present tense.
When do you find out what level you will be in for next week?

Will they shoot fireworks for Narma and yourself on 7/29?

wow i wonder how my breathing is going to be....

i have still never had a tamalae

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home